Monday, March 18, 2013

Feb 4th


This last week was pretty rough...remember that protestant couple we were excited to teach? Yeah, well turns out they broke our hearts, or at least mine. Basically, they've been blinded and hardened to the truth by Satan. I was in tears for most of the lesson and then, before we left he told us the Book of Mormon wasn't true because it promoted agency and they believe God chooses who is righteous and who is wicked. They think Satan's plan is God's! It made me sick to my stomach. They also gave back their copy of the Book of Mormon, it was literally the worst appointment of my life. I've come to love their little family so much and they just threw our testimonies out. It hurt. I tried not to let it affect me, but that combined with the fact that a schitzophrenik investigator fell in love with us made for a discouraging start to our week. Everyone I saw on the street I thought, "they're either gereformeerd or physcho, and either way they're crazy!" I realize that is very much a self-limiting mind-set and I tried to get over it, but it took awhile to break down that wall. From all this I learned it's a lot easier to not build a wall between your heart and the work then to build one just to have to tear it down to be effective. That's definitely not working smart. It is tempting to build, however, as a shield. But I think I'll just have to leave my heart open to pain because I just don't think there's a way to remove it from the equation of missionary work. Actually, I know there is no way because D&C 4 says see that you serve with all your heart. I guess I'll just have to work on the might, mind, and strength part. Luckily from all this my testimony of the Book of Mormon has been strengthened. It really is written for our day, even that part about the Zoramites building a raised pulpit in their church to lift their hands to heaven and shout out blasphemies with a loud voice while following false doctrines. I don't like Satan. He is crafty and uses fraud to win people over, not cool (Alma 47:30). 

On a happier more upbeat note, my companion, Zuster Raun, is hilarious! I really appreciate her humor because this little city place is taking a toll on me. I don't know what it is, but I am extremely tired and emotional here. 

Speaking of places, even though most people here have no idea where NC is even though it's larger than their country, there are a few goldens who not only know where it is, but know people from there. I have a small list of people I am supposed to ask you about or see if you know anyone who know them. They are:
Familie Moran. Their first names are David, Braien, Diane, and Katrin (names may or may not be spelled correctly). The dad is an engineer and lived in Belgium for 3 years and Zr. Van Loven, an elderly lady from the Antwerpen ward remembers them (I think she said the daughter had a handicap).
An Elder Klippel who was a missionary in NC from 1988 to 1990 in the Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg, ECU area.
Sandra Yarborough. She is from Fayetteville but is not a member. Zr.Salden a senior couple missionary in our mission knew her. 
Yep that's everyone. :) Let me know what you find out if anything. 

I was able to see the pictures on the thumb drive, but not the family movies, bummer right? But the pictures were great and I love them :) Maybe it has to do with the compatability of the thumb drive though, so I'll keep trying.

How was your birthday Mom? Did you get my card? Probably not yet, but hopefully soon. 

Gotta go, Love you!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Zuster Becky Hinchcliff




No comments:

Post a Comment