Sunday, May 19, 2013

SPRING April 22, 2013


Well family, Amsterdam is finally showing signs of spring! The trees have buds of leaves, flowers are popping up everwhere, the sun is shining! Life doesn't get much better :) And let me tell you, there is almost nothing so beautiful as seeing the freshness of spring against the backdrop of an old, European city. Also, people are friendlier as a result of the sunshine and new life and that creates perfect dispositions to talk to about the restored gospel. Zuster Davies and I have been having a lot of fun and success together and we have plans to continue that pattern. 
Last week P-day I didn't get a chance to email, so today when I got on there was A LOT to read! I am still sorting out my feelings about the news you shared with me about Scott and moving to Korea, but I have pretty much decided to not think or worry about it and just focus on what's before me now. I know the rest will take care of itself just fine. The Lord knows what He's doing and is in charge. I had a companion a while ago with continual medical problems. She was freaking out because her MTC companion was sent home and she doesn't want that to be the story of her mission too. The thing is, the story of your mission is what you make of it. So, she decided to make every day count, just in case. Ideally, we all are making every day count, but I have to admit, she was one of the most focused and dedicated missionaries I've ever been privileged to serve with. And I just can't help but think to myself, what if she didn't have these difficulties, would she be just as hardworking and influential? I don't know. But, I do know the Lord doesn't ask us to do things just for kicks and giggles, He is purpose driven and anything He hands to us is to help us become even more like Him. In the case of my companion, I'd say so far it's working :) Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6). Words of wisdom right there :) 
I've really come to understand this better throughout my mission. Funny thing is, I thought I knew it and fully understood it before I came. Guess I still have some learning to do. One thing I'm sure of is that I'm grateful for the opportunities the Lord gives us to continually learn and grow and progress to become more like Him. 
Mom, that scripture you shared with me from John 14:26, "but the comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberane, whatsoever I have said unto you," is the same scripture our ward mission leader shared in our investigator class yesterday as he taught us all about covenants. I know that as we are true to our covenants everything works out the way it's supposed and the Lord rewards us in all aspects of our lives, even through things as simple as a common scripture shared in a class and an email. Small things are inspired too, after all, it's by small and simple things that great things are brought to pass (Alma 37:6-7). Thanks for listening to the Spirit in even the small things so I could experience that little miracle :) It brought just the comfort I needed. 
I'm so grateful you're my eternal family.
Love eternal daughter/sister, 
Zuster Becky Hinchcliff

No comments:

Post a Comment