Monday, July 30, 2012

July 2


"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass,"
mission
x

Rebecca Hinchcliff rebecca.hinchcliff@myldsmail.net
Jul 2
to julieme
I finished reading the book "Daughters in my Kingdom" (the Relief Society
book) today. I have come to have a greater and deeper appreciation for
the Relief Society as a result of reading this book. It motivates me to be a
better companion, daughter, sister, visiting teacher; basically, it motivates
met o bet better and live up to my potential and privilege as a daughter of
 God. I am so grateful for the women around me/throughout my life who
are living examples of the theme "Charity Never Faileth." I could make a
forever long list of these women: relatives, roommates, church leaders,
friends, sisters in the Netherlands, girls I met at EFY, and more, however,
 I gotta be honest, as I read this book over the past few mo nths, a stukje
here and a stukje there, I was mostly reading about women who reminded
 me of my dear mom. Mom, you do more for everyone than anyone I know.
One of the last things I read was a quote by Sister Eliza R. Snow:
"There are many...whose labors are not known beyond their own dwellings
and perhaps not appreciated there, but what difference does that make? If
 your labors are acceptable to God, however simple the duties, if faithfully
performed, you should never be discouraged."
As a missionary, I often find opportunities to be discouraged, and I'll admit,
sometimes I take them. But, as I remember that "...by small and simple things
 are great things brought to pass," I realize however unfruitful my efforts to
bring others unto Christ may feel or even appear, as long as I can honestly
account to the Lord at the end of the day that I've done my best, I know my
work is acceptable.
Mom, I know you often feel underappreciated, and to be honeset you are. If
only the world could know everything you've done to make it a better place by
 the everyday things you doa in our home and for others, they'd build you a
 monument. I might just come home after my mission and do it myself now that
I think about it :) Thank you for all you do to be the best example in my life of
Christ-like living. If I could only be a hundreth-part of the person, but especially
mother, that you are, I will live a full life.
In "Daughters in my Kingdom," President Hinckley is quoted to say:
"When you save a girl, you save generations. She will grown in strength and
righteousnes. She will marry in the house of the Lord. She will teach her
children the ways of truth. They will walk in her paths and will similiarly teach
their children. Wonderful grandmothers will be there to lend encouragement."
(Standing Strong and Immovable, 2004).
As soon as I read this, my thoughts shifted in an instant to you. This is the
legacy you have passed on to me. You have been an example of strength,
righteousness, temple marriage, and teaching after the ways of truth. And
now Melissa is walking in your path and soon will teach and save her daughter
 with you there to lend encouragment. Thank you for the heritage of faith you've
 given to us. (And shout-out to Grandma for doing such a great job with you!)
I love you Mom. I can't describe enough how much I love you.

At the end of each day we record wonders and "grappjes" (funny things) we've
 seen throughout the day. There are for the most part small and simple, but
I thought it'd be fun to share some from this last week with you all...
Wonders:
-Zr. Stout lost her wallet, she left it in the Amsterdam library after we emailed.
We didn't realize it until we were on the train to Haarlem and a man came by
to check tickets. Luckily he was a surveyor so she didn't have to pay a fee. We
couldn't go back right then to find her wallet because we had an appointment,
but our joint-teach called the library for us after the appointment to ask them to
keep a look out for it while we went back to A'dam to try to find it. I had just
enough money in my wallet to get us tickets and when we got to the library it
turned out a girl had found the wallet and the only things missing were a bus
pass and four Euros.
-All of our appointments went through one day!
-We were worried we'd have to stop teaching one of our investigators, but we
get to keep going!
-Met a kid at a snackbar who thought we were cool becuase we are American :)
(PS HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!)
-An investigator didn't show up for our appointment and we were worried so
we prayed she was ok and a few minutes later she texted us!
-All of our appointments went through again!
-We had two member presence lessons and one of them way a super
member presence (at a member's house)!
-I am learning how to work well with people...
-I had really good meals one day
-Companionship inventory went well
-We got to speak to our new mission president, President Robinson!
-A family rolled up in church all on their own (or so they think, spirit) and
we got a new investigator out of it! They stayed for all the meetings and
break-the-fast!
-Dinner with a family in our ward was like being home
-A kid we met on the street, Dante, thought my accent makes Dutch sound
cooler! Nicest kid ever! Motivated me to talk to everyone!
Grappjes:
-Had a poetry reading of poems Zr. Stout and I had written at District Meeting
 during lunch, they were great!
-An investigator prayed for us to be fruitful...awkward!!
-Our neighbors began constructing something at 9:15 pm...it was loud.
-An investigator sang us Christmas carols
-I don't need to worry about protein on the mission...I eat on average 1-3
bugs a day while on the bike...some are rather large...
-Met a guy who believes in the Viking gods...for real!
-In Dutch there are two ways to say the verb "to know." During a lesson I
 accidentally told an investigator I knew him in a biblical way, aah! Luckily he
 knew what I meant and I corrected myself as soon as I realized my mistake!!
Sooo embarassing!!!
I hope you all have a great Fourth of July for me!!!! I love you!!!!!!!
Love, Zuster Becky Hinchcliff

No comments:

Post a Comment